Competition Subjects for 2016-17 Season
From John Tillotson, Internal Competition Secretary
At last week’s committee meeting, subjects were decided for competitions next season.
- Summer Challenge – ‘Photojournalism’. We request that this is taken between the end of this season and the start of next season.
- Millennium Trophy – ‘Shapes’. We request that this is taken in the calendar year 2016.
- Set Subject for PDI 02 – ‘Fruit’
Photojournalism – (PSA definition)
“Photojournalism entries shall consist of images with informative content and emotional impact, reflecting the human presence in our world. The journalistic (storytelling) value of the image shall receive priority over pictorial quality. In the interest of credibility, images that misrepresent the truth, such as those from events or activities specifically arranged for photography or of subjects directed or hired for photography, are not eligible. Techniques that add, relocate, replace or remove any element of the original image, except by cropping, are not permitted. The only allowable modifications are removal of dust, scratches or digital noise, restoration of the existing appearance of the original scene, sharpening that is not obvious, and conversion to greyscale monochrome. Derivations, including infrared, are not eligible.”
The intention with this is that one or more basic approximately regular geometric shape(s) of up to and including 6 sides should be prominent in the image.
- The sweet and fleshy product of a tree or other plant that contains seed and can be eaten as food.
- Botany The seed-bearing structure of a plant, e.g. an acorn.